Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Zip This!

 - - Have you ever gotten your zipper stuck?  I'm not going to talk about the zipper on your pants, which can add an additional dimension of urgency and humiliation to the problem, but just an ordinary run-of-the mill outerwear jacket zipper.  You're just about to go into a store, and you realize that the freakin' thing has gone off the track, and now your jacket is gaping open at the bottom and the top, with the zipper trolley (or whatever you call it) binding the coat only at the middle, and leaving you looking like the world's biggest dork...

...so you try to pull the zipper down to the bottom and get it back on the track, but the infernal thing just won't engage with the teeth there!  After trying the process several times, you're no longer feeling cool about it but are growing increasingly self-conscious, and beginning to feel that your coat has turned into a straight jacket!  As you still can't get the zipper to work, a mild feeling of panic sets in, your fingertips get shredded, and you begin to develop contingency plans in your mind for how to extricate yourself from your  jacket if the zipper continues to refuse to work...do you have the flexibility of a contortionist to wiggle out of it, do you beg someone like a kindergarten child for help, or do you take a knife to it, and try and cut your way out?--That's not an appealing prospect when you're dealing with a coat that you paid some major bucks for!  

More than half an hour later with my fingertips in tatters to say nothing of my composure, I finally got the zipper back on track and could take my coat off, which was a good thing since I was then in a restaurant...but I've seen another side to my once trusty leather jacket...

...and I'm just not sure that I trust it!

No comments: